Wednesday 21 October 2009

Books CAN change lives- in a lot of different ways...

"I grew up in the 1960s both Catholic and gay, and couldn't reconcile the two. I ended up denying both my sexuality and my religion. Some years after coming out, whilst managing an HIV/AIDS project, my admin worker - who was also training as a Methodist preacher - gave me a copy of "Dancing on the Edge". Its effect on me was momentous..."

This story was submitted by Kevin Crowe on The Book That Changed My Life project site. It has been just one of many where a book has had a strong impact on someone's life and in a surprising way.
The variety of books chosen has also reflected the diverse ways that a book can change your life. I particularly enjoyed the story posted by Claira Jo about S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders, which had a powerful impact on her.


Sometimes when you are in a situation where your surroundings are oppressive in some way and you feel misunderstood, a book can be an escape, a marvellous revelation that there are other worlds and people that you can relate to- and that can relate to you.
These stories show books as a kind of window to a another world, an escape, and inspiration and a comfort.
Hopefully The Book That Changed My Life project will open up this idea to people who feel like they don't belong to reach out to a book and see what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment